Zinedine Zidane says Gareth Bale could leave Real Madrid in matter of days | Football
Zidane confirmed the Wales international was left out of Real’s matchday squad to face Bayern Munich in the International Champions Cup in Houston on Saturday night because “the club is working on his departure”. The Frenchman also said he hopes a deal for Bale can be struck soon “for everyone’s sake”.
Zidane, whose side were beaten 3-1 by Bayern, said: “He wasn’t included in the squad because the club is working on his departure and that’s why he didn’t play. We’ll have to see what happens in the coming days. We’ll have to see if it goes through tomorrow, if it does then all the better. Let’s hope, for everyone’s sake, that it happens soon. The club is dealing with the club that he’ll move to.”
Bale joined Real from Tottenham Hotspur for a then world-record £85.3m fee in 2013 and, despite being hit by a series of injuries, has helped the club win four Champions League titles and LaLiga. However, his future at the Bernabéu has been the source of plenty of speculation in recent times, with the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham, Bayern and Internazionale among the clubs having been linked with him.
Zidane did not reveal where Bale’s possible destination might be but said: “The situation will change and it’s for the best for everyone.” The World Cup-winner also insisted he has “nothing against” 30-year-old Bale, who has not always been an automatic starter under Zidane at Real.
“We have to make decisions and change things, that’s all there is to it,” said the head coach. “You’re aware of the situation and there’ll be a change to it. I don’t know if this will happen in 24 or 48 hours’ time. The situation will change and it’s for the best for everyone. That’s how things go.”
Bale’s time at Real has looked particularly doomed ever since the club signed Eden Hazard from Chelsea last month.