Man City ‘close to completing’ third summer signing – he’ll be new first-choice right-back
Manchester City have got deals over the line of Angelino and Rodri this week – and Cancelo looks to be next.
The right-back is liked by Pep Guardiola and it appears the Portuguese won’t be moving to the Etihad simply as backup to Kyle Walker.
Instead Cancelo is being eyed as a long-term option in the starting line-up, despite Walker signing a contract extension with City earlier this year.
Duncan Castles discussed the situation on the latest episode of the Transfer Window Podcast.
He said: “We told you some time ago Manchester City wanted Cancelo in as an upgrade at right-back, to be first-choice starting right-back for the coming season.
“They’ve been working on that deal for a while.
“I’ve had an update on that today (Friday) which is that the transfer is close to completion.
“I’m hearing that from the Italian end, and also a second source.
“I’ve had an update on that today (Friday) which is that the transfer is close to completion”
“I don’t think it’s absolutely there yet, but I believe Juventus are happy to sell the player and take a profit on the €40.4m transfer fee they paid for Cancelo a year ago.”
Transfer Window Podcast guest, Italian journalist Aurelio Capaldi, added: “In Italy it is believed Juventus would like to get €60m (£54m) for Cancelo.
“As you said they are prepared to give him away, to let him go, and they’ve already said to Sarri that selling Cancelo is a real possibility. So Sarri is prepared.
“Sarri knows Juventus is ready, and keen, to sell Cancelo and then he’s hopefully of Marcelo on the left.
“Sarri believes Juventus really needs offensive people on the sides and wants to make things happen.”