Joey Barton’s fierce denial over Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel assault allegations
Joey Barton has denied allegations he assaulted Barnsley boss Daniel Stendel.
Police investigating an incident in the tunnel after a match at the Tykes on Saturday have bailed a man arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated offences.
Barnsley striker Cauley Woodrow tweeted that Fleetwood manager Barton confronted boss Stendel following the game at Oakwell.
The tweet has since been deleted but South Yorkshire Police confirmed that they were investigating allegations of an incident in the tunnel.
“With regards to the alleged incident on Saturday following our game against Barnsley, I emphatically deny all the allegations made,” Barton tweeted.
“Given this matter has not been formally closed, it would be inappropriate for me to make any further comment.”
On Wednesday, police said a man was being questioned in relation to the incident.
A force spokesman said later that the man had been released on bail.
He said: “Officers investigating an incident at Barnsley Football Club on Saturday 13 April 2019 have arrested a man on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offence and racially aggravated assault.
“The man attended at a police station and was arrested today, Wednesday 17 April.
In a later statement, the spokesman said: “A man arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offence and racially aggravated assault, in connection to an incident at Barnsley Football Club on Saturday 13 April, has been bailed until next month.
Officers earlier appealed for witnesses to the incident, which Woodrow claimed left Stendel with “blood pouring from his face”.
The spokesman said: “The incident is believed to have taken place in the tunnel around 5pm, following the conclusion of Barnsley’s match against Fleetwood Town, and left one man with facial injuries.”
He continued: “Were you at the game on Saturday with a view, or in the area, of the tunnel? Did you see what happened?
“Officers are particularly keen to speak to anyone who may have caught the incident on camera or who may have any mobile phone footage immediately before or after the incident occurred.”
Barnsley announced on Tuesday that they had lodged formal complaints with both the English Football League and the Football Association over the alleged incident after the match, which ended in a 4-2 victory for the home team and saw Fleetwood have a player sent off after 65 minutes.
Police said inquiries into the incident are ongoing and asked people to refrain from speculation that could potentially harm their investigation.